We are currently working in partnership with the Bristol based charity All Aboard, to give children the experience of boat life. Over the summer we are hoping to begin voyages down at the harbourside. We have set up a boat fund for people who wish to donate to it in order to help sustain this fantastic opportunity.
Our principles for giving children experience of the harbour and boat life:
- There is such a different and interesting perspective of the City and community to be gained from being in a boat. Within Bristol the waterways are a huge part of the City’s history, culture and industry and this is an area that should be more exploited and shared with Bristol’s children.
- Within research, it is found that only a small minority of children gain the opportunity to have a boat experience, this is usually children from parents who have the means to fund such an experience.
- Research commissioned by All Aboard found that children need to be influenced towards dispositions of sailing and boat life earlier than age 8.
- To open people’s views across the City of how much young children can appreciate and learn from experience of the harbour and Bristol waterways.
- There are a large number of volunteers and community people who have wonderful knowledge about boats, waterways and the harbour that could be shared with our children